Monday, October 5, 2009

Starting the Conversation....Investing, law, and fraud.

Dear Investors:



I am attorney for Harry Markopolos, the whistleblower in the Madoff case. I am an attorney with 22 years of experience in three different jurisdictions. I have recently launched my own law firm because I want to practice a different kind of lawyering, one that is open to a variety of experience in society and brings to bear my own amalgam of knowledge from a variety of cultures and laws. To effectively learn from the public's experience is essential to the way I want to practice law, and current technology enables this possibility. And so I am creating this blog to provide myself and you the public with a forum for our conversation.



I am not providing legal advice in this blog. Nor will I interact with any comment received in an attorney-client form or relationship within the blog. If you are a client and want to speak to me there is a confidential forum for our interaction on my website. You can also email me or call me. This is a forum for conversation with you the public; a way to provide you with resources, information from experts, my associates and colleagues, other law firms, finance and investment consultants, and government leaders from around the world who are trying to transform the current malaise.



I also want to use this as a public forum to air my thoughts and discuss issues relating to the law, and its transformation as we encounter others across borders, in other marketplaces, living through the same hell or heaven and places in between we may be experiencing. I want to think and talk about the repeated slaps of fraud and betrayal investors have recently experienced around the world. I am interested in the way investors may be dealing with such situations, partly of course because I have taken on some of these cases and I want to expand my analyses beyond the purely legal. I want to gain from your insight into what you may think is or is not related to the law in the situations with which you are grappling. Even investors who have not personally encountered fraud are skittish about the market and more distrusting of institutions and advisors. For me, it is important to have a sense of the situation from your point of view.



Without your input, a conversation will not occur. So I ask you to talk to me, and I will respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment